Mwafrikah
  • News
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Money
  • Finance
  • Investment
  • Billionaires
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Tech
  • Gadgets
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Money
  • Finance
  • Investment
  • Billionaires
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Tech
  • Gadgets
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Mwafrikah
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

The US Will Help South Korea Build Nuclear ‘Attack’ Submarines in New Defence Pact

by kevin Atamba
November 16, 2025
in General News
us-help-south-korea-build-nuclear-attack-submarines

us-help-south-korea-build-nuclear-attack-submarines

Summarize with ChatGPTShare to Facebook
ADVERTISEMENT

The announcement that The US will help South Korea build nuclear ‘attack’ submarines marks a major shift in defence cooperation between the two countries and signals a new phase of military strategy in East Asia. The White House confirmed that Washington has granted approval for Seoul to begin building nuclear-powered submarines and will work closely with South Korea to secure fuel and meet technical requirements. The move comes at a time of heightened military competition and growing pressure from North Korea and China.

ADVERTISEMENT

The submarine partnership follows a recent trade agreement between the two nations, in which Washington reduced tariffs from 25% to 15% in exchange for South Korea’s commitment to invest $350bn in the US economy. According to US officials, the submarine decision reflects a deeper security alignment and a recognition of evolving threats in the region.

In a statement released Thursday, the White House said the US had approved “nuclear-powered attack submarines” for the Republic of Korea and would help advance the project, including fuel arrangements. Former President Donald Trump also posted on Truth Social that the vessels would be built at a Philadelphia shipyard run by South Korean conglomerate Hanwha, although South Korean officials later questioned whether that facility has the capacity to construct such advanced ships.

Only a handful of countries — the US, Russia, China, France, the UK and India — currently operate nuclear-powered submarines. South Korea’s existing fleet of around 20 submarines is diesel-powered, requiring frequent surfacing. Nuclear-powered vessels can travel farther, faster, and with far greater stealth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Why Seoul Wants Nuclear-Powered Submarines

Seoul’s push for nuclear-armed submarines is driven primarily by North Korea’s expanding military ambitions. Pyongyang recently revealed that it is pursuing its own nuclear submarine programme and released images showing Kim Jong Un inspecting one under construction. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung told Trump at the APEC summit that Seoul required nuclear-powered vessels to counter the North’s growing maritime and nuclear threats.

South Korea’s Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said last week that the new submarines would represent a milestone in national defence and would provide a major strategic upgrade. Greater stealth, he argued, would make it harder for North Korea to predict or track South Korean naval movements — a change that would “keep Kim Jong Un awake at night.”

Experts say the development is also part of a wider regional arms race. Jo Bee-yun of the Sejong Institute noted that North Korea’s nuclear arsenal, which is estimated at around 50 warheads, has already reshaped the security dynamics in East Asia. South Korea’s acquisition of nuclear submarines, she added, reflects a response to long-term regional tension.


North Korea’s Nuclear Submarine Ambitions

North Korea’s own submarine programme has accelerated in recent years. South Korean officials believe Pyongyang may be receiving assistance from Russia. Images released in March 2025 showed a submarine Pyongyang claimed to be nuclear-powered, with Kim Jong Un personally inspecting the vessel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Analysts warn that North Korea could field nuclear-powered submarines within a few years, adding another layer of unpredictability to the peninsula’s security environment. The advancement of South Korea’s nuclear submarine programme is therefore viewed as a necessary counterweight, even if it does not fundamentally shift the power balance.


Will the Agreement Escalate Regional Tensions?

While nuclear submarines offer strategic advantages, their high cost and long construction timeline mean they may have limited short-term impact. Dr Yang Uk of the Asan Institute for Policy Studies said the primary purpose of the plan is political — assuring South Korean voters that their government is responding decisively to North Korea’s nuclear threat. He also warned that Pyongyang may use Seoul’s new capability as justification for further expanding its own nuclear arsenal.

Jo Bee-yun argued that South Korea will still benefit strategically, as nuclear-powered submarines enable faster and longer deployments. They also enhance Seoul’s ability to operate alongside allied navies, giving the country a stronger regional role.


What the US Stands to Gain

For the United States, helping South Korea build nuclear submarines strengthens its regional influence while placing additional pressure on China and North Korea. Analysts suggest Washington wants Seoul to take on a more active defence posture, particularly as China expands its naval presence in the region.

According to Dr Yang, Trump has pushed more defence responsibility onto Seoul, knowing that South Korea is willing to increase its military spending. He said the arrangement effectively positions South Korea as a strategic partner in confronting Chinese and North Korean military expansion.

China’s government reacted with concern. Its ambassador to South Korea, Dai Bing, urged Seoul to act “prudently” and warned that the security situation remains “complex and sensitive.” Beijing has been increasing its activity near South Korea’s maritime borders, prompting further concern in Seoul and Washington.


What Happens Next?

Although Trump stated the submarines would be built in Philadelphia, South Korean officials insist construction must occur locally, where the country already has the advanced facilities required for such a programme. South Korea’s Prime Minister Kim Min-seok told parliament that the Philadelphia shipyard “did not have the capability” to build nuclear-powered submarines, raising questions about where final production will take place.

Hanwha, the shipyard’s owner, has not yet issued a formal statement.

The next major step is revising the nuclear cooperation agreement between the US and South Korea. This would allow the transfer of nuclear fuel and establish strict guidelines for how it may be used.

With the deal now formally approved, Seoul is entering a new strategic era — one in which nuclear-powered submarines may become central to its security planning and to its alliance with the United States.

Tags: Korean Peninsula tensionsNorth Korea threatnuclear submarinesSouth Korea submarinesTrump South Korea dealUS defence pact
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Illegal Migration Tearing UK Apart, Mahmood Says in Major Asylum Shake-Up

Next Post

Alleged Medical Report Forgery: Nnamdi Kanu Sues NMA, Seeks N50bn in Damages

Related Posts

Elon Musk and Tim Cook among CEOs expected to accompany Trump on China trip
General News

Trump China Trip Draws Top US Tech and Business CEOs

6 days ago
How to Use KRA’s WhatsApp eTIMS to Generate Invoices and File Returns
General News

How to File Nil Returns in Kenya Using WhatsApp (Step-by-Step Guide)

4 weeks ago
Lufthansa Flight Cuts Hit Europe Travel
General News

Lufthansa Flight Cuts Hit Europe Travel

4 weeks ago
Taiwan president cancels trip after African countries revoke flight permits
General News

Taiwan Trip Cancelled Over Airspace Dispute

4 weeks ago
List Of All C1 Senior Schools in Kenya
General News

C1 Senior Schools Kenya Full List Guide

4 weeks ago
New Salary for Kenya Police, Prisons and NYS: Full Breakdown of the Pay Rises
General News

Police Salary Kenya Pay Rise Guide

4 weeks ago
Next Post
Kanu Seeks Financial Damages and Independent Re-Examination

Alleged Medical Report Forgery: Nnamdi Kanu Sues NMA, Seeks N50bn in Damages

A wave of excitement swept through London on Tuesday as Labubu dolls were flying off the shelves during a high-energy shopping livestream hosted by AliExpress, part of Alibaba’s global push to expand Singles’ Day into Western markets. The Chinese e-commerce giant is capitalising on the worldwide obsession with collectible Pop Mart toys, a trend that has exploded far beyond Asia and is now reshaping consumer behaviour in the UK. The spotlight was on Pop Mart’s wildly popular figurines, including Labubu, Crybaby and SkullPanda, all sold in sealed “blind boxes” that hide the character inside. This mystery-box format has propelled Pop Mart to global fame and driven significant revenue growth for the Beijing-based company. Borrowing from the Disney model, Pop Mart is building long-term value through storytelling, character branding and powerful fan communities. To supercharge its UK Singles’ Day campaign, AliExpress enlisted 23-year-old British TikTok star Anna Williams — who boasts 1.3 million followers — to co-host a series of four two-hour daily livestreams alongside fellow influencer Mary He. AliExpress expects the pair to help sell at least 10,000 toys through the AliExpress app by Friday as viewers watch, comment, and buy in real time. Pop Mart Sales Skyrocket in the UK According to Bonnie Zhao, general manager at AliExpress UK, sales from the official Pop Mart store surged an astonishing 1,500% year-on-year in October, demonstrating how quickly the toy craze is spreading in Britain. Collectible toy sales on the platform also jumped 300% in just the first six months of the year, confirming that UK consumers are embracing the trend wholeheartedly. During the London livestreams, Williams and He sat in front of a colourful display of Pop Mart figurines, opening blind boxes for viewers and showcasing popular items. These included the Labubu “Why So Serious” clown variant and a blueberry-scented Hacipupu gummy bear series, priced between £11 and £74 ($15–$99). Beyond simple toys, many fans now use the figurines as fashion items, attaching them to bags or displaying them as collectable accessories. A bustling resale market has also emerged, with rare characters fetching high prices online. Livestream Shopping’s Influence Spreads West While livestream shopping exploded first in China, the trend has rapidly spread across Europe and North America. Major Western brands like IKEA and Zara have experimented with livestream formats, hoping to blend entertainment with instant purchasing opportunities. With charismatic hosts, limited-time offers and interactive product reveals, livestreams are becoming a powerful new retail tool. Carmen Muley, once the host for some of AliExpress’s earliest Spanish-language livestreams in 2016 and now an advisor to global brands, said the format is still in its early stages in Europe. However, she noted that the rollout of TikTok Shop across Spain, Ireland, Italy, Germany and France has driven a notable rise in livestream activity among retailers. “It’s growing fast, and more brands are beginning to recognise the power of real-time engagement,” she said. As Singles’ Day continues to evolve from a China-focused shopping event into a global retail phenomenon, AliExpress is positioning itself at the centre of the movement — and Pop Mart’s Labubu trend is proving to be the perfect catalyst.

Labubu Dolls Were Flying Off the Shelves as AliExpress Sparks UK Singles’ Day Craze

ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Contact Us
  • Partner

© 2026 Mwafrikah Designs

No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Money
  • Finance
  • Investment
  • Billionaires
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
    • Travel
  • Tech
  • Gadgets
  • Sports

© 2026 Mwafrikah Designs